Monday, September 13, 2010

SBR600-Building software packages from source code

1. NLED

First of all, I downloaded the NLED source code from

"http://cdot.senecac.on.ca/software/nled/" and extracted

the file using the command "tar -xzf nled_2_52_src.tgz"

Then I tried "make" command in the directory which

contains the source code of NLED but I got the following

error messages.

[jaewoo@localhost nled-2.52]$ make
cc -O -c -o nled.o nled.c
make: cc: Command not found
make: *** [nled.o] Error 127


After this, I realized there is no C compiler installed on my system.

So I did "yum install gcc" and then "yum install "*/ncurses.h"

respectively to install a C compiler and ncurses library.

After these steps were done, the "make" command successfully

created the "nled" editor

2. Installing aMSN

I got the aMSN souce code from "http://sourceforge.net"

"http://softlayer.dl.sourceforge.net/project/amsn/amsn/0.98.3/amsn-0.98.3-src.tar.bz2"

To extract the archive file, use either

"tar -xjvf amsn-0.98.3-src.tar.bz2"

or

"bunzip2 amsn-0.98.3-src.tar.bz2 && tar -xvf amsn-0.98.3-src.tar" command.

When I issued the command "./configure" there were so many

prerequisite packages missing so I had to install all missing

packages first at the below using "yum" respectively :

"gcc-c++ , tcl-devel, tk-devel, libpng-devel, libjpeg-devel,

gstreamer-devel, farsight2-devel".

At last, I was able to successfully run the aMSN messager on

my linux system.


1 comment:

  1. Like the post...I appreciate you share it.
    Church Software

    Hank Hendricks is a sports man and has played for the University of New Hampshire Foot ball team.

    ReplyDelete